Photo by Joe Glorioso for The Sports Capitol
Redskins 2018 roster tracker: From 90 to 53
BY BEN STANDIG | AUG. 31, 2018
The NFL demands all 32 teams pare rosters from the training camp bloated 90 to the regular season sanctioned 53 by Saturday at 4:00 p.m. That includes the Washington Redskins, who have several interesting decisions ahead of Saturday’s deadline.
We’re in pursuit of all the transactions, from waves of players waived to potential trades and adding players released by other teams. Bookmark this page or just check often as we update throughout the weekend, and ollow our insiders Ben Standig and Brian McNally on Twitter along with our TSC Redskins account. Also, check out:
- Ben Standig’s 53-man projection following Thursday’s preseason finale.
- Chris Thompson’s exclusive assessment of the running back battle.
- Fantasy Football draft strategy talk with Ben and FootballGuys.com’s Sigmund Bloom.
- Our “Redskins Season Pass” offer and other membership options to take full advantage of all we have at The Sports Capitol.
- Our look at the actual 53.
Breaking news and reports
- WR Shay Fields released, source tells TSC
- LB Jerod Fernandez released, source tells TSC. Practice squad candidate
- WR Dan Williams released, source tells TSC
- OL Kendall Calhoun released, source tells TSC
- TE Matt Flanagan released, source tells TSC. PS candidate
- TE/FB JP Holtz released, source tells TSC. Trendy pick to make final 53 because keeping a fullback works with Adrian Peterson, though Holtz didn’t make cut on Ben’s list.
- S Quin Blanding released, per Ian Rapoport
- OT John Kling released, source tells TSC
- LB Cassanova McKinzy released, according to reports.
- LB Vontae Diggs released, source tells TSC
- LB Pete Robertson released, source tells TSC. Probably the first *surprise* of the day, though the pass rusher was clearly on the bubble. Likely means Redskins go with four OLB for now.
- G Isaiah Williams released, source tells TSC.
- G Kyle Kalis released, source tells TSC. With Williams and Kalis gone, Redskins without a true backup guard. Seemed logical they would go with eight OL for now and sift through waivers for a ninth.
- OT T.J. Clemmings released, per Ian Rapoport
- CB Prince Charles Iworah released, TSC confirmed. John Keim with initial report
- DL Jo Jo Wicker released, source tells TSC
- RB De’Veon Smith released, per Washington Post
- TE Garrett Hudson released, per reports
- WR Brian Quick released, per ESPN
- RB Kapri Bibbs released, per Ian Rapoport. Bummer for a back who really shined all summer. Numbers game loomed throughout and snagged him at the finish line.
- QB Connor Jessop released, source tells TSC
- ILB Martrell Spaight released, TSV confirmed multiple reports.
- The Sports Capitol first reported offensive lineman Tyler Catalina, a reserve on the 2017 roster, underwent season-ending shoulder surgery this week.
Ben Standig is a host, writer and co-founder of The Sports Capitol. This D.C. area native grew up rooting for all the local squads and dabbled in the professional media world after college before making a full shift to sports writing in 2005. Since, Ben has covered every team and big event in town for several outlets including the Associated Press, NBCWashington.com and Scout.com.